When your back hurts, it can be hard to get through the day. Trust the experts at Sentara for customized rehab plans to treat back pain and spine injuries.
Spine Injury and Back Pain Rehabilitation: Why Choose Sentara?
Our specialists provide personalized care to relieve pain and help you heal after injury, surgery or conditions affecting your back. Our program consistently earns high customer satisfaction scores. Highlights include:
- Demonstrated knowledge: Our certified physical therapists have training in specialized back pain rehab techniques. Specialists have earned certifications in dry needling, manual therapy and the McKenzie Method®. Meet our experts.
- Convenient locations: We offer rehab services at Sentara Therapy Centers throughout Virginia and eastern North Carolina. Our team provides same-day and next-day appointments.
- Collaborative approach: We work with experts in our orthopedic rehabilitation and fall-prevention therapy programs to ensure you get all the care you need.
Rehab for Spine Injury
When you have a spine injury, our physical therapy experts offer specialized care. We develop treatment plans with specific exercises to strengthen muscles and relieve pain. We offer:
Our specialists develop exercises specifically for your needs to help you heal and move with less pain. We help you:
- Build strength
- Improve posture
- Increase flexibility
Sentara experts use hands-on therapies to knead, push and pull affected areas. This soft tissue mobilization therapy breaks up adhesions (scar tissue) and relieves pain in the:
- Ligaments (tissue that connects bones)
- Tendons (tissue that attaches muscle to bone)
We use this manual therapy technique to treat soft tissues and bones. Our therapists use movements that shorten sore muscles to relieve spasms and improve joint function.
We use the McKenzie Method to help ease pain and improve mobility. Therapists assess your symptoms and teach you specific movements and positions to perform at home.
ERGYS® 2 bike
After severe spinal cord injury, we use a special bike with low-level electrical stimulation to help you pedal. Therapists attach sensors to your leg muscles and use a computer to send electrical impulses that contract your muscles.
Sentara specialists offer individualized education to help you stay healthy on the job. We may refer you to return-to-work rehabilitation after injury or illness.
We also provide work conditioning services, including:
- Functional movement training
- Job task simulation
- Workstation evaluation
Conditions We Treat With Back Therapy
Back pain rehabilitation helps you get stronger and relieve pain after:
We help improve range of motion and reduce pain from:
- Disc disease: Pain caused when cushioning discs that separate the spine’s bones (vertebrae) wear away
- Osteoarthritis: Pain that occurs when cartilage (protective tissue) wears away, causing bones to make contact
- Rheumatoid arthritis: An immune system disorder that causes painful, swollen joints
Our physical therapists help you heal after:
- Dislocations: Bones moved out of their normal position by forceful contact
- Fractures: Broken bones resulting from contact or repetitive stress
- Muscle pain: Tissue damage or pain that occurs with overuse or injury
- Nerve issues: Nerve damage that causes weakness or discomfort
We help you rebuild strength and function after spine surgery or other surgeries that affect how you move or stand.
Benefits of Back Pain Treatment
Sentara's back pain rehab programs help you get back to your daily activities with less pain. We help:
- Improve flexibility and range of motion
- Build muscle strength
- Prevent further injury
- Reduce fall risk
Request an Appointment
Learn more about spine injury and back pain rehabilitation at Sentara Therapy Centers. Visit our locations.